Thursday 26 April 2007

The big dig - part 1





Thursday saw the first real action at the plot as I attempted to convert field and weeds into lovely soil! I had the day off and hired a rotovator to do the hard work. There seems to be quite a divided opinion on whether or not to use a rotovator on land like this. Some say all you result in doing is chopping the weeds into more weeds but my opinion is it makes the soil instantly workable to a good depth - plus its good fun!!




My original plan was to cut the weeds with a mower but sadly it conked out after 20 minutes and no effort on mine or Edwards part (who had wandered over) could get it going again. Nevermind rotovator it was and I got stuck in. It worked amazing well cutting out the roots and leaving the weeds on top. By 11:00 it was done and I started the mamoth job of piling the weeds and raking the surface.

No comments: