Monday 30 April 2007

Spuds away


Once I knew I was getting a plot I started to look for seeds and sets I could plant. I know mid April is a bit late for potatoes but the good news is that means what you do buy is reduced! I was lucky enough to pick up 3 bags of Charlotte seed potatoes a few weeks ago for 99p each. These have been nicely chitting ever since so once the plot was prepped they were going in asap. Sunday evening Helen and I went down to the plot ready to plant. We dug a trench 15cm deep and planted each seed 30cm apart. The deeper soil was still clumpy but it soon broke up and there were only a few weed roots so the rotovating had done a good job. After gently covering them up they were watered in – definitely not the easiest task. The well is nearly 100m away and we only have a bucket. After three trips you are losing the will so the new way of watering can’t come soon enough. Still it works for now and we earthed them up to keep the moisture in. The third row was planted the day later to complete the lot and that’s when the above picture was taken. So that’s it the first crop is planted – plot62 is officially off the mark and growing yeehah! Onions are going in next followed by a whole load of other crops so watch this space…

No comments: