Thursday 10 May 2007

Seedlings


Well work on the allotment has been postponed for quite a few days because of holidays and rain. I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours on Tuesday evening when I started to errect the rabbit proof fence but thats been it. Since then it hasn't stopped raining so I've been trapped indoors. However, thats not to say there is no progress as my sweetcorn seedlings have started to emerge. Several of the crops I'm planting have been started off in cells rather than planting straight in the ground. Last year I got a small 6'x6' greenhouse in the freeads so this should help them along nicely. In the above picture (left to right and back to front) I've got 20 leeks, 20 squash, 80 sweetcorn, 20 pumpkins, 7 courgettes, 20 parsnips and 20 carrots, not to mention the 9 tomatoes and 4 cucumbers round the edge!! I grew cucumbers and tomatoes (plus chillis and peppers) last year as my rookie attempt at growing veg. It went really well and we enjoyed the tomatoes and cucmbers so much I've sacrificed the others for more! Can't wait until these start cropping. Marketmore cucmbers and gardeners delight cherry toms mmmm!

Anyway rain or shine this weekend is a big at the plot so watch this space for updates. Heres hoping for the sun once more. Cheerio...

No comments: