Monday 30 April 2007

Scrapheap challenge!




One of the key tools on any plot is a wheelbarrow. When I was clearing the plot I borrowed a neighbour's but it wouldn't be long until I needed one of my own. As luck would have it when we searched the plot on day one we discovered a couple of old discarded wheelbarrows waiting to be dumped. Individually they were no good but between them there was a good wheel and a good frame. I saved the bits and had my own go at scrapheap salvaging!

I used some 2”x1” wood from pallets I’d obtained to make hubs using a large 25mm drill. These were bolted onto the frame and greased. Secondly I had some old plywood and shelving in the garage that got converted into a tub. It's a bit Heath Robinson (who is/was he?!) but its certainly unique.

Like the proof of a pudding is in the eating I guess the proof of the barrow is in its use. Well what can I say it works even better than the real thing, even if I do say so myself. Also did I deliberately make the sides of the tub bigger than the base so that it wouldn’t fill with water when it rains, or did I measured it wrong? Hmmm definitely the latter!

So there we have it a scrapheap barrow. For less than £5 I've got a fully functional barrow that works great and has saved extra waste from being landfilled. Best of all I can leave it on site safe in the knowledge it will be there the next day. Now what else can I salvage……?

No comments: