Thursday 7 June 2007

Sunshine, sunshine, sunshine...

Well after the rain comes the sun and the last few days has seen nothing else. Its done wonders for some of the plants with the pumpkin and courgette now at 6-7 leaf stage. Its also meant the weeds are growing as well so a fair amount of regular hoeing is needed to keep them at bay. At the edges of the plot the weeds that didn't get rotovated reached nearly 2' high in places but they were all literally cut down to size with the mower last night! Its looking really good (if I do say so myself) and its amazing how a bit of cut grass smartens things up. Another thing I've noticed is the lack of damaged done by pests. The plot appears to be covered in slugs and snails hiding under everything possible yet no visible damage on the plants? Maybe this is tempting fate or maybe I'm growing plants these pests don't like but either way I can't believe it. Maybe I'm not such a bad gardener after all!!

Hopefully this weekend should see some real progress once more. I've plans to build compost bins and dig the last bits of the plot for some late planted crops so watch this space. More pictures to come too...

No comments: