Friday 29 June 2007

Greenhouse greenery



Ok so its not strictly plot62 as the greenhouse is in my back garden but heres some progress of
my other growing exploits. The tomatoes are now at their maximum size and I've pinched out the growing tips to concentrate the plants efforts on the fruit. I must have 5 or 6 trusses on each plant and nine plants in total to keep me going! I love growing tomatoes they are definitly my favourite. I love the fact that you get such a huge plant from such a tiny seed and the smell of the leaves is fantastic. Its never a chore picking out the growing shoots and I copuld grow enough to fill a polytunnel! Anyway hopefully if the weather warms we'll get some of the toms starting to ripen. They still look quite a way off but I'm feeding them with special feed far more frequently this year and I'm sure its helping to build a bigger crop.
The cucumbers have finally kicking into gear. They spent ages doing nothing but at last the mini cucumbers have started to develop. Like the tomatoes I pinched out every growing tip and I think that encorgaes the plant to form fruits. The closest to ready is about half size so maybe next week I'll get a small one soon. They appear to be loving the trellis I installed this year. Its certainly worth the effort as it reduces the starin on the greenhouse frame - another good bit of recycling!
Finally, although I don't have any pictures, a quick mention to the sunflowers. These were sown very early in the greenhouse and planted out a couple of months ago. A few sucumbed to the slugs and snails but the lucky ones are now true giants. I'd say the tallest is coming on for 8 feet high and definitly peeping over the neighbour fence! I'll get some pics when the flowers finally bloom.

No comments: