Wednesday 18 July 2007

July update

Its been over three weeks since my last post so about time I had an update. I've been very busy planting, weeding and even cropping! The weather has been very wet but also warm so quite good conditions for growing. The weeds have certainly shot up!

First harvest came about two weeks ago (early July) with the courgettes. Since then there has been no stopping and I've cut nearly 10 fruits from six plants. They grow so fast the in less than a week they've grown from nothing to small marrow! I've already started to give them away to lucky friends and colleagues. Don't worry if you've not had any I guarantee you'll get one soon!

Other crops I've had are radishes. These have now swelled nicely and are a real treat on the plot. I've since planted some more to try and get a succession. My pumpkins are really growing. There are a couple bigger than grapefruits and plenty the size of tennis balls so hopefully these will develop into the whoppers I'm after. The plants themselves have totally swamped the lower part of the plot growing right to either edge over the grass paths! On the down side my potatoes are looking a bit limp. I'm worried they might have blight but its only on a couple so could be slugs. I'm going to see how this goes over the next few days and weeks but its only 3 weeks until they should be ready.

Other changes are new plants including climbing beans, mangetout and broad beans. The first two were savaged by slugs no sooner than they went in. Slug pellets and netting for pigeons have gone one since and everything is now recovering. The broad beans were pelleted when planted and these are now establishing themselves nicely. Fortunately I've found some organic pellets which not only make me feel happier about not using chemicals they don't mush the slug like other pellets can. They simply disappear never to be seen again... spooky!

I feel like I'm slowly winning the battle with the horsetail. Emphasis on the slowly. It really is the worst weed you can get. It is so strong and resilient and grows so deep. I'm trying to keep on top of it but nearly everytime I pull it out there's the fateful 'snap' and you just know the bit that stayed in will be back. It seems completely resistant to glyphosate weedkiller which dispatches everything else so well. I don't think there is anything I can do other than keep weeding!

Finally in other news my plot has been put forward in the Abingdon in Bloom competition. Several of the best plots from the site go forward every year and are judged by the local council (I think). I've heard the inspection is due around late July, early August so another goo reason to keep on top of the weeding and mowing. Fingers crossed!!

No comments: