Friday 20 July 2007

Peas and beans


Here is picture of the latest addition to the plot - my climbing beans and mangetout. This photo was taken a few weeks ago now and since then broad beans have been added to the foot of the photo. It didn't say on the packet how high these plants would grow so after consulting my book I bought 8' and 6' poles for the beans and peas respectively. Only later have I found out I have slightly bigger than dwarf varieties so there's no chance they'll use all of the pole! Never mind at least they are in. I was concerned that pigeons and other birds might eat them so I netted it all as best I could. However, they were probably the least of my worries as slugs and snails got almost the lot in the first few days. I've since pelleted and all has recovered nicely. The peas are definitely flowering now so hopefully not too long until they become ready.

No comments: