Friday 29 June 2007

Weeeeeeeeeds


Its been a while since my last post so its about time for an update. Well lots has been going on so I'll post a few entries with more specifics. In general though we've had LOADS of rain. It seems never ending and the current five day forecast is nothing but! I've certainly not had to fill the water butts so it just goes to show theres a postive in every negative!

Well it gets better than that as the rain water is certainly having a postive effect on the plants and almost everything is now growing at a fair rate. The photo above was taken about a week ago when you could still see space between the pumpkins. They grow so fast I'm sure you could watch them growing if you had the patience. Also although you can't see in this picture the first fruits are now starting to form. They look like mini gooseberries sitting behind a huge flower! The courgettes are coming on too. I think it will be another week then we can start cropping - yahooo!! My neighbours have all been picking courgettes so it can't be long now. The best fruits are currently the size of a sausage and although its tempting I'm waiting for a proper two-person size portion for the first crop.
As you can see the plot is covered in weeds. Confession time - I think the rotovator did have a bigger impact than I first thought. The weeds, in particular horsetail, are all over the plot and growing round every crop. Its so bad I spent three hours weeding and it still looked untouched in places. Its got to the point where I've had to get the weedkiller out to do the job. I was hoping to stay 100% chemical free but I've got to kill the root of this weed and I can't see any other way. Still glyphosate isn't so bad and if thats all I resort to I can live with it!
More posts to come but thats it for general catch up. Oh yes we're now over two months old. It still amazes me how far we've come in such a short time....

No comments: